When it comes to renovating or designing a bathroom, one of the most important things to consider is the size of the shower. Showers come in a variety of sizes and shapes, and choosing the right size can make a big difference in the functionality and overall look of your bathroom. In this article, we will provide a complete guide to standard shower sizes and how showers are measured.
Measuring Your Shower Space
Before selecting a shower, it is important to measure your shower space accurately. You will need to measure the width, depth, and height of the space to ensure that you choose a shower that fits perfectly. To measure the width, measure the distance between the two walls where the shower will be installed. Next, measure the depth by measuring the distance from the wall to the center of the shower floor. Finally, measure the height by measuring the distance from the floor to the ceiling.
Types of Showers
There are several types of showers available on the market, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks. Here are some of the most common types of showers:
- Walk-in Shower: Walk-in showers are a popular choice because they are easy to access and do not require a lot of space. They typically have a low threshold or no threshold at all, making them ideal for people with mobility issues.
- Corner Shower: Corner showers are designed to fit into a corner of the bathroom and can be a great space-saving option. They are available in a variety of sizes and shapes, including square, rectangular, and neo-angle.
- Alcove Shower: Alcove showers are designed to fit into a recessed space in the bathroom and are typically enclosed on three sides with a door on the fourth side. They are a great option for smaller bathrooms because they do not take up a lot of space.
- Shower and Tub Combo: Shower and tub combos are a great option for those who want the convenience of a shower and a bathtub in one. They are available in a variety of sizes and shapes and can be a great space-saving option.
Standard Shower Sizes
While showers come in a variety of sizes, there are some standard sizes that you should be aware of. Here are some of the most common standard shower sizes
- 32 inches x 32 inches: This is a small shower size that is ideal for smaller bathrooms. It is a popular choice for those who want a simple and functional shower without taking up too much space.
- 36 inches x 36 inches: This is another small shower size that is popular for smaller bathrooms. It provides a little more room than the 32 x 32 shower and is a great option for those who want a slightly larger shower without taking up too much space.
- 48 inches x 36 inches: This is a larger shower size that is popular for larger bathrooms. It provides more space than the smaller sizes and can be a great option for those who want a more luxurious showering experience.
- 60 inches x 36 inches: This is one of the largest standard shower sizes and is popular for those who want a spacious showering experience. It is a great option for those who have a larger bathroom and want a shower that provides plenty of room to move around.
Custom Shower Sizes
If you have a specific size or shape in mind for your shower, you may need to consider a custom shower. Custom showers are designed to fit your specific space and can be a great option for those who want a unique showering experience. They can be more expensive than standard showers, but they offer more flexibility in terms of size and design.
Choosing the right shower size is an important part of designing or renovating a bathroom. By measuring your space accurately and understanding the different types of showers and standard sizes available, you can make an informed decision about which shower will work best for your needs.
When selecting a shower, be sure to consider not only the size and shape but also the material and style. There are a variety of materials available, including acrylic, fiberglass, and tile, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks.
Additionally, the style of the shower can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your bathroom. Consider factors such as the color, texture, and pattern of the shower walls, as well as the type of showerhead and any additional features, such as built-in shelving or seating.
Overall, choosing the right shower for your bathroom can be a fun and exciting process. By taking the time to measure your space accurately and consider all of your options, you can create a showering experience that meets your needs and enhances the overall look and functionality of your bathroom.